Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Beautiful Moment

When I began my university education, my first year biology professor stated the common phrase "look to your left, look to your right - one of these people will not be here at the end of this school year".  Today at the orientation for first year Engineering student one of the speakers began that same adage, but ended it like this.... "these people are your friends, your lifeline in university.  Get to know them, rely them on because they are your support system".

This is one of the things that I love about modern education.  We (faculty, staff, etc.) present ourselves as individuals who are willing to help our students to succeed.  We care about their achievement and we are proactive in helping them get there.

What a difference!  I know that I was touched by the speaker's comments, and I am hoping that there were a lot of students out there who were equally moved.  I also feel truly blessed to work in the College of Engineering at the University of Saskatchewan!

No comments:

Post a Comment