Thursday, July 4, 2013

Do Less, Accomplish More!

Today I had the opportunity to provide an information literacy session for participants in a summer school of sorts hosted by the College of Engineering.  As I was typing up my lecture notes, it occurred to me that I had a total of five activities and essentially my whole 60 minute segment one active learning method after another, yet, I probably accomplished more in that hour than I normally do in an one-shot instructional session. 

Here is a list of my activities:

  • Be My Google – class brainstorming activity [activity courtesy of Amy Fyn of Bowling Green University]
    • Question: What is human powered transportation? If I ask that question and you are Google, what types of results will I retrieve
    • Begin to evaluate results, then compare results with Google and Google Scholar
  • Look Up - class brainstorming activity [again courtesy of Amy Fyn who refers to this activity as Thumball]
    • I randomly selected participants instead of throwing a ball around the room
    • Question: Why don't people commute by human powered transportation methods?
  • Discover - small group brainstorming activity
    • Based on your project and group solution; come up with a list of keywords, sources of information, dates, topics and potential authors
    • Pick a spokesperson from their group and share with the class the results from this activity.
    • Further the activity by using a discovery system or database
  • Keyword Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment