Monday, October 21, 2013

Old Habits....

How many times have I walked out into the stacks, armed with a call number and nothing else.  How many times do I have to return to the catalogue to look up the title and/or some additional piece of information because I can't find the book on the shelf?

Yesterday my daughter wanted to search online for information about fairies.  She was treading dangerously close to discovering sensitive information about the tooth fairy, so I shut her down.  I suggested instead that we search the catalogue at the Saskatoon Public Library and promised to take her there should we find some good books.  We found one in the library, and another that we placed a hold on.  She wrote down the call number and we went to the library.

Initial browse found nothing.  Library assistant thought it might be interfiled in the adult section, but it wasn't.
Catalogue search #1: daughter suggested a possible name - nothing
Catalogue search #2,3,4: tried subject searches, keyword searches - nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing
Catalogue search #5: tried my initial search for fairy information and guess what, we had the title wrong. Found the books in the kids section and while browsing the stacks found another one.

My advice, always write down the call number AND THE TITLE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment