Thursday, February 26, 2015

Class Clowns

I have never encountered several class clowns in one class, or let alone anyone that consistently interrupts the class with their antics.  I guess I travel in some pretty serious circles.

I was delightfully surprised and somewhat flustered when I arrived to teach a class and discovered that the entire front three rows was made up of groups of students who were quick witted and very willing to share their anecdotes with us (sometimes on topic, sometimes not). 

I love that kind of stuff, but really had to put my classroom management skills to work to ensure that the overall class discussion was not derailed.  At one point, I was even avoiding eye contact in order to encourage silence.  Usually it is the other way around and students avoid eye contact with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment