Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Impact

Don't underestimate the power of your impact.  I received a book deal based on my very first journal article.  I was offered an international chat forum on flipped classrooms, based on my second article.  And I was recently offered another book deal, based on, I have no idea....  It said social media.  Don't know how they associated that with me, but there you have it.  All of this, and I only have two citations to date of my work.  What that means to me is that I am having an impact, but not in the traditional sense of the word, nor in the traditional sense of impact factors in publishing.

Another example can be found within this blog... One of my posts has been viewed almost 700 times.  What was it on you may ask? Well it detailed a presentation that I had attended at WILU in 2012.  The presenters were Maura Mastesic and Gina Mastesic from York University.  Talk about some powerful altmetrics for these two!!!  It does beg the question however, how do you assess your impact?  Unless I reached out and let them know about this blog post, how would they ever find out?  And even if they found their names in my post through a Google search, how would they know the impact of the post?  As far as I know, I am the only one who can see that information.  

Altmetrics is incredibly interesting and I am eager to learn more about how this emerging trend will affect impact in the library world and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment