Friday, October 21, 2022

Creating an ePortfolio

Well that was a learning experience! The last time that I had to create an ePortfolio was when I was completing my MLIS at Wayne State University in 2012. That ePortfolio was part of a larger assignment that was teaching us about html coding and ftp. 

This time around, I thought I would use it as an opportunity to learn more about the functionality that was recently made available to faculty, staff, and students at Saskatchewan Polytechnic. Learning objects can be added as they are completed from any course page + you can reflect on the item. You can also add any item to your ePortfolio that is not associated with the Brightspace course. Adding items was easy, although tagging was not necessarily intuitive and took me a couple of tries to figure out what I was supposed to do. 

From there, I endeavoured to make the ePortfolio publicly available. A lot more trial and error here, until I finally gave up and asked for help. Then I didn't fully read the instructions, so a bit more frustration ensued. Ultimately, users need to create a presentation of their ePortfolio which can then be shared. Within the presentation, you can organize and add pages. On the pages you can add content. You can also create a theme for the ePortfolio, which essentially turns it into a resume type item. 

I am glad that I had a chance to experiment with this functionality, as it will be a part of our LIFT program, and as such, it will be important for me to know what we are asking of our learners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment