Friday, October 7, 2022

Ed Tech

I have been thinking a lot about week 5, which focused on graphic design elements and education technology tools. This is a topic that I am very passionate about as it is ripe with potential inequities. The digital divide was exacerbated during COVID when all learners were forced to rely on digital technology to access every component of their courses. Some learners faced incredible barriers due to these technology requirements. Space and sharing amongst households was also an issue for many. In my house, if a video game was being played in one room, it seriously effected my Zoom meeting in another.  

The other aspect of ed tech that I would like to note here is that as educators we need to be aware of what we are asking our learners to do. Are we going to use this tool throughout the semester, or only one time? Did we review the terms of use, and understand how our learners information is going to be used and stored? Is it supported by our institution? Are there privacy concerns?

Couple of examples here:

  • My institution has a specific list of software that they support for operational or educational use. We are welcome to use other tools, but are essentially on our own if we need assistance. Fair enough! As a member of a support department, I try to model best practice and choose, whenever possible, tools that are supported by my institution.
  • I try to be mindful of not choosing a tool, just for the sake of having a tool in my class. I start with the outcome, the content and then choose a tool if appropriate or necessary.
  • I am concerned about privacy and storage of data, and as such have decided against the use of certain tools. 
Recently, I was responsible for adapting an existing course on ed tech. The main assignment for the course asks learners to analyse a software choice from the perspectives of functionality, ease-of-use, support, equity, safety, and ethics. I believe it is good task for instructors as it forces them to think about the consequences of their choice of software. 

No comments:

Post a Comment