Friday, July 6, 2012

reference question requires creativity

On Wednesday I had a student ask me how to cite standards within an article being submitted for publication in the Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering.  This site provides excellent guidelines for authors including examples of many types of citation for this particular publisher, unfortunately they do not include an example or instructions for citing a standard. 

After exhausting several other resources, I thought to myself, why don't I just go open the journal and see if I can find an example of this type of citation (perhaps this is an obvious solution!).  Well as luck would have it, I did indeed find an example!  I have included it here:

CSA.  2001.  Limit states design of steel structures.  Standard CAN/CSA-S16-01.  Canadian Standards Association, Mississauga, Ont.

I have to say what has surprised me the most in the past 3 weeks working as an "actual librarian" is the amount of times that I find myself using the creative side of my brain.  That is something I would have never expected, especially working in an Engineering Library!

No comments:

Post a Comment