Thursday, March 7, 2013

Hello, my name is....

Last week I taught 7 RCM 300 information literacy classes.  In the last session, a colleague of mine performed a peer evaluation of my instruction. 

One of the techniques that I use continuously in my courses is group work, of which there was no shortage in this particular class. 

Immediately following the class, my colleague offered me a brilliant suggestion stating that she uses  similar active learning techniques in her instruction.  She recommended that I start each class, that has a group work component in the instruction, with a brief meet-n-greet ice breaker.  Having students briefly introduce themselves to the people sitting next to them and offer one tidbit of previously unknown information benefits the class discussion in two ways: first, it avoids awkwardness at being forced to answer questions in a group situation and second, it sets up the expectation that students will be expected to contribute throughout the class.

I love this idea!  This ice breaker will be an excellent addition this activity will make to future instructional sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment