Asako Yoshida - University of Manitoba
Librarian-Faculty Collaboration: Creating a More Learner-Centered Environment to Facilitate Students' Research Skills Development
- Constructivist theory and alignment (Biggs & Tang, 2011)
- what are you trying to teach and expecting students to learn
- are we facilitating student learning through our library instruction?
- librarian and faculty collaboration, 4th year research seminar course, required course
- observed that students were surface learning, not deep learning, not exhibiting a strong connection to the learning outcomes
- used research skill development framework, a pedagogical and curriculum developing tool to guide students to undertake a research project (framework and Bloom's Taxonomy)
- supervisor initiated (prescribed, bounded, scaffolded), researcher initiated (open research), or discipline building (adopted, enlarging research)
- this framework can be used for students, scholars and researchers
- as a result: gained a better understanding of the nature of the project the students are undertaking
- common objective of facilitating student learning
There were two sessions in a row on constructivist theory. This instructor was in heaven!!!!