Friday, June 24, 2016

Readability and writing

I learned a really interesting tip last week; you can determine the readability of your writing very simply in MS Word.  Here are the steps to take:

  1. Click on File and then Options
  2. Click on Proofing and then ensure that "readability statistics" is checked off.
  3. The next time that you complete spellcheck on your document, there will be a pop-up window that provides you with these details.
This process can be very complicated if you are writing a literature review as to go through the spellcheck with all of those authors names can be time consuming.

I tried this for one of my daughter's research projects.  The paper landed at 6.2 which is appropriate because she is in grade 6.  One of my papers came in at 14.3 which is a bit lower than I had anticipated but appropriate for what I was working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment