Thursday, June 6, 2019

Born this way or learned behaviour?

Is a leader born or developed?  I like to believe that it is a little bit of both.  I believe that we are born with inherent characteristics that make us who we are.  That is why two children with the same parents and essentially the same upbringing can be totally different people.  We are all born with preferred tendencies, skills and talents.  I prefer to be an introvert, I have a small circle of close friends, but mostly just like to hang out with my family and my sister.  I am creative, enjoy research and am quiet.  My sister is extremely extroverted with a huge circle of friends, is an excellent teacher and is not creative in the slightest. We could not be more different from each other. 

But it is also our environment that shapes who we are as a person, and we can be taught. I participate in leadership workshops and have gained a self awareness about what 'makes me tick' and what skills and talents I bring to the table.  Some I think, I have always expressed, and some I have learned on the job or through an experience I have had. 

An example that I could provide here would be my more recent desire to be an advocate.  I never thought for one second that I would be the type of person who would write letters to their MLA, or to the editor of a local newspaper or who would show up at a protest, let alone organize one.  But I have done all of those things in the last two years.   The political climate woke me up and caused a substantial shift in my outlook and also my willingness to take on a leadership role within my community.   So did the political climate make me into a leader or was I always one?  I think a little bit of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment