Sunday, October 9, 2022

Reflection on Week 5

If you are interested in the basic principles of graphic design, you will enjoy this video. 

  


The video reviews the concepts of space, line, colour, texture, and placement or layout. It also goes over the positions of power, or the four points in any image that the eye automatically scans. 

Week 5 also discussed the use of Canva templates. I use Canva all the time. I add PPT presentations and images to my online courses. One thing that I have gotten into the habit of doing is adding the transcript below the item, as well as adding descriptive alt text. I truly believe that learning experience design is useless if it is not accessible to everyone. Applying the UDL principles is vital to any and all learning objects. 

During the week, I reflected on the design decisions that I made in online courses. For example, whenever possible, I set up links to open in a new browser window. For me, this makes it easier for the learner, as they can easily return to the content from the course without losing their place. They can also leave the tabs open if they want to refer to that content later. I also centre all of the videos the page. Perhaps because this helps draw the learners eye to this important content as does not fall in line with the rest of the text. I insert a Canva image to break up text, I include alt text, and add an accordion fold with the text transcript below the image.  Finally for consistency, I try to highlight content in a similar fashion throughout the course. Pink aside boxes for readings, grey framed box for instructions and teal aside boxes for reflections. I hope that by doing that, the learners know what will be expected of them just by the visual clues on the page.  

Week 5 also spoke about the use of stock images in a course. I use Unsplash for images that have a Creative Commons licence. Copyright is an important consideration here, so make sure that you use images that do not require attribution, or reference them correctly. 


I also really enjoyed this video. Especially what he had to say about telling a different story, one without songs, a peaceful village, a love story or a villain. He asks us to tell a different story, while making sure that the audience invested in the arc of the main character, whether or not they like them. How can you make your audience care? 

Finally, we covered the importance of video editing. I use Camtasia to edit my videos and then Kaltura to publish them. I add captions and try to add chapters. I think it is important to not just share the recording from your class, but record a condensed version of the lecture with the sole purpose of creating the reference copy. That way viewers of your video do not need to skip through class discussions and things that are not relevant to them when they are viewing it asynchronously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment