Sunday, October 9, 2022

Week 5 Discussion Posts

Q1. After adding to our group page on tools and resources, which one did you try out? How was it?

I am a huge fan of Canva. I use it to make PPT presentations, images on the postcard templates and Twitter posts. I am lucky enough to have the premium version of this software, so I access to all of the good stuff. This is probably the tool that I use the most in my work. I like that I can collaborate with people in my organization. The files are easy to add to Brightspace. I think the templates are interesting and engaging. It is also a very versatile software, so you can easily upload your own stuff if they do not have what you are looking for. 

QR code monkey is useful for including digital resources on a print format, such as a poster. https://www.qrcode-monkey.com/. Pro tip - always doublecheck that your QR code works.

I use https://niram.org/read/ to calculate the reading time of websites, journal articles and other text based items. I add this information for my learners before linking to an article in Brightspace.

Finally, I use Camtasia for video editing. I have been using this software since 2010 and think it is the most intuitive video editing software there is. It is easy to use, and have a huge list of functionality and features that make it worth every penny.  

Q2. Though there are no formal discussion questions this week, the floor is yours. What do you want to talk about? What questions do you have based on this week's topics/themes?

There are so many great tools out there, but I would add that all of this is useless unless you make a concerted effort to apply the Universal Design for Learning principles and make the items accessible. For example, captioning video, adding transcripts, and supplying alternative formats (i.e.: PDF and a Word file). UDL moves your items from decorative to functional. 

No comments:

Post a Comment