Thursday, November 29, 2012

What's in a name?

I invited myself to attend the second morning of the Science Academy workshop for Centennial Collegiate students that focused on the Health Sciences. 

As an icebreaker, the librarians had students write their names on paper tents.  Librarians could then call on the individual by name.  One librarian told me "if they don't volunteer themselves, you volunteer them".  I have been reluctant to call on individuals for a response if they seem hesitant to offer one, yet I saw for myself, these students responded with thoughtful answers when they were called upon directly.

The librarians also had the students introduce themselves before they began the instruction.  Students were asked for their name, favourite food and what they wanted to be when they grew up. 

Both of these simple activities would work well if you had the students for longer than an hour.  Introductions would be appropriate in smaller classes in a more intimate setting.

I learned in the first 10 minutes of instruction: don't underestimate the power of a simple ice-breaker!

No comments:

Post a Comment